Armidale - Latest News
NECOM Welcomes Nicola Price
The Australian Chamber Orchestra Collective to perform in Armidale
Andrey Gugnin to perform in Armidale
Inverell - Latest News
Inverell Campus Looks Towards New Future
Campus Home to Sapphire City Concert Band
AMEB Exams in Progress
Students Attend Melbourne State Music Camp
NECOM Students Perform with AWO
NECOM Trio at UNE Graduation Ceremonies
Armidale Regional Council signs MOU with NECOM
UNE College Chamber Ensemble Programme
Teacher of the Month
Music and Literacy Project
Paul Marshall - AYO's New Conductor
Paul Jarman Choral Workshop
Guests at NECOM
Haydn Ensemble Residency at NECOM
Benjamin Adler from ACO Collective - Interview
Luke Byrne presents workshops at NECOM
K-Year 12 School & Curriculum Programs in 2017
CHAMBER MUSIC IN SCHOOLS 2017
SCHOOLS INVITED TO BOOK A FRIDAY CONCERT VISIT NOW.
Back by popular demand! NECOM is once again offering its popular Chamber Music in Schools Program to schools right across the North West region this year. Schools are invited to host a ‘Chamber Music in Schools’ presentation this year when NECOM sends a Trio of musicians to schools north-west region to visit and perform in schools along the way.
The Trio gives a 45-50 minute presentation of live music while the classroom teacher reads an accompanying script. The performance can be in a school classroom or a school hall, depending on student numbers. Each school also receives a free Resource Kit prepared by Music educator Deidre Rickards OAM with ideas for classroom music lessons. The Trio can give 1 to 3 concerts at your school, depending on student numbers.
For many schools the cost of bringing professional musicians to their school, or transporting their students vast distances to attend concerts, is prohibitive.At the very reasonable cost of $4.00/student, NECOM’s Chamber Music in Schools gives many schools and students their only affordable opportunity to meet, see and hear musicians play a variety of instruments (strings, woodwinds and piano) live and up close. With thanks to funding from the DoE (Dept of Education), NECOM is able to send a Trio to those remote schools with very small student populations to ensure that no child misses out.
For example, in 2015 the Trio performed in schools as far afield as Boggabri, Chandler, Croppa Creek, Dundurrabin, Graves End, Hernani, Toomela, Wee Waa, Yetman, as well as larger centres such as Armidale, Tamworth and Walcha. The Trio also performs in central school locations where other schools can participate or at Music Festivals or Creative Arts Day presented by cluster schools.
How to apply for a Concert Visit
1. Choose 3 possible Friday dates in your school calendar.
2. Confirm your student numbers and number of concerts you need.
3. Complete an application form (download from our website).
4. Send your application to NECOM (see details below).
5. Contact NECOM first if you need to discuss dates before submitting your application.
6. After receiving your application, NECOM will contact you to confirm dates and arrangements.
Help Us Confirm the Concert Tour Schedule
The logistics of organising concert visits to schools across the vast north-west region are very challenging! To help us bring music to your school, please support this program by sending in your Application Form ASAP. First applications will be given priority on order of date receipt.
If you have any further questions, please contact NECOM on 02 6778 2135. We look forward to visiting your school in 2017.
2017 CURRICULUM + PERFORMANCE WORKSHOPS
for Students & Teachers
The New England Conservatorium of Music, in collaboration with AMTA (Armidale Music Teachers Association), provides a substantial program to support the NSW Board of Studies music curriculum, schools students and teachers in the following activities:
1. Sawtell Public School Orchestra Workshop - Fri 24 Feb
2. Year 10 Music Day - Wed 8 March
3. HSC Music Workshop - Thurs 9 & Fri 10 March
4. Eisteddfod Composition Workshop w Luke Byrne - Wed 17 May
5. Junior Orchestra Workshop - Wed 28 & Thurs 29 June
CLOSING THE MUSIC GAP
NECOM provides ongoing music skills teaching and special project activities to aboriginal and indigenous school students through:
* Early Stage 1 & Stage 1, Stage 2 music classes at Ross Hill Public School
* K-Yr 2 Early Childhood classes at Tingha Public School
* Mentoring Special Projects with leading aboriginal musicians eg The Stiff Gins, William Barton. In 2013 The Stiff Gins gave workshops and concerts at Ross HIll PS, Tingha PS, Armidale & Duval HS, and Minimbah Primary School in Armidale. In 2014 Rap Workshops were provided to Ross Hill PS and Tingha PS.
PERIPATETIC & CLASSROOM TEACHING IN SCHOOLS 2017
As NSW Regional Conservatoriums are the Dept of Education endorsed providers of music education adn curriculum support to schools across NSW, NECOM provides a broad range of teaching services and peripatetic instrumental lessons in Transition. Early Stage 1 -Stage 3 classroom music teaching, choral conducting, band and ensemble conducting, and peripatetic instrumental tuition. In 2017 services include:
- Armidale City Publc School (Stage 1-3 Choral Program, Band Program)
- Ben Venue Public School (Stage 2 & 3 Classroom Music, Band Program)
- Newling Public School, Armidale (Classrom music Early Stage 1-3 Classroom Music)
- Sandon Primary School (Stage 1-3 Choral Program)
- PLC, NEGS and TAS, Armidale (Ensemble tutoring, instrumental teaching)
- Ross Hill Public School, Inverell (Early + Stage 1 Classroom music)
- St Patricks Primary School, Walcha (Classroom Music for Stage 1)
- Tingha Public School (Weekly classroom music K-Yr 2)
REGIONAL SPECIAL PROJECTS
NECOM presents a diverse range of music performance and school curriculum support projects for primary and secondary schools across the region. The 2012 and 2014 New England Sings! choral project received the national Arts Music Award for 'Excellence in Music Education' and the 2014 New England Sings! won the national Arts Music Award for 'Excellence in a Regional Area'.
2016 New England Sings!
Chamber Music in Small Communities (2013)
Jazz Musician-in-Residence (2010)
Chamber Music in Schools (2008 continuing)
With affiliated partners AMTA (Armidale Music Teachers Association) and PAMTA (Primary Music Teachers Association), NECOM provides teachers professional development and learning workshops in:
- Choral conducting at workshops for New England Sings!
- Music in Your Classroom workshop for Chamber Music In Schools Program
- Dalcroze and Kodaly music education methods
- Early Childhood music
- Teaching strategies
- Song Writing Workshop w Music Australia
- Syllabus eg composition, aural training